A major task for grieving families is to maintain their functionality and support stability among its members. The following are some suggestions to assist families:
- Maintain the order of the day (such as meals and bedtimes) as much as possible.
- Provide time to answer the children’s questions and encourage them to ask questions.
- Be alert to some regression in younger children:
- forgetting how to dress
- stuttering or thumb sucking
- clinging behavior
- Children respond to the behavior of parents and other adults.
- Most children over 4 years of age look forward to being included in the funeral.
- Allow children to observe the parent’s grief.