Information and Benefits
Social Security benefits play a vital role in planning your family’s future. Most of us are entitled to some type of benefit, but the nature of the benefit and the qualifications are subject to change.
Details to keep in mind include:
- You must apply for Social Security benefits—they are not paid automatically.
- A lump sum payment may be made when an eligible person dies. This payment can only be made if there is an eligible surviving widow, widower or entitled child.
- You must apply for benefits within a specific time frame. To facilitate the filing of a claim for your Social Security benefits, you will need most or all of the following documents:
- Death certificate
- Birth certificate of deceased
- Social Security card of deceased
- Marriage certificate (copy)
- Birth certificate of applicant
- Birth certificates of minor children
- Disability proof for children over 18
- Funeral bill receipt
We have to file the death certificate with the Arizona Department of Health Services-Vital Records and will contact you when it becomes available.
You can contact your Social Security office for current information on benefits and claim procedures or call the national toll-free number at: 1-800-772-1213. You may also write to your local office or to the national Social Security Office at:
Social Security Administration
Office of Public Inquiries
1100 W. High Rise
6401 Security Blvd.
Baltimore, MD 21235